whatchu know 'bout boilin' a kettle for a bath?
I know, I know, the RZA thing. Yeah, I wasn't really in the mood at the weekend - broke, at a bit of a loose end for most of it, the rain pissing down and making my beloved KX, London look ugly as hell.
But. But can I just talk about how fucking obsessed I am right now with 'Lucky Star' by Basement Jaxx? It's like being beaten up by God. Scratch that, it's like being beaten up by Horus/Dane McGowan. And then fucked by him. That's the chorus, the sex bit. The verses are like the most insane kung-fu/guncarta fights scenes ever. The chorus is like getting head from Kali. Gives me chills ever time.
"I would just like to say I feel fine."
And the drama when the strings first come in, and the scorn when Dizzee Rascal says "don't make me laff, whatchu know about havin' no money for a trim?" - yeah you fucking rich kids, don't mess with Dizzee - and the way the sound is all about the treble, all about the high-pitched noises, like someone drilling a hole in yr skull IN A GOOD WAY, and the "jump up, jump up" bit, and the reprise of "round, round, round we go"... YESSSSSS.
Then if we dig deeper into the lyrical content of the song, we find much the same sentiment as on RZA's 'Grits', except with added aggression: RZA is just reminiscing about growing up poor, Dizzee sounds like he's looking for someone to punch because of it. I've been thinking a lot recently about generalised/metaphorical struggle vs. specific/literal class-based experience in hip-hop and elsewhere - because I've always said that you don't need to have gone through exactly what an artist is talking about going through to understand and relate to the emotions expressed in a song as a result. And yet... something in 'Grits' moves me and makes me want to claim that anyone who never wanted for anything as a child cannot understand this song the way I do. And when Dizzee hits on something so exact as having to boil the kettle to get hot water for a bath - I'm right there with him, yelling "what do YOU know about it?" Chip on the shoulder? Don't make me laugh...
"I would just like to say I feel great."
I know, I know, the RZA thing. Yeah, I wasn't really in the mood at the weekend - broke, at a bit of a loose end for most of it, the rain pissing down and making my beloved KX, London look ugly as hell.
But. But can I just talk about how fucking obsessed I am right now with 'Lucky Star' by Basement Jaxx? It's like being beaten up by God. Scratch that, it's like being beaten up by Horus/Dane McGowan. And then fucked by him. That's the chorus, the sex bit. The verses are like the most insane kung-fu/guncarta fights scenes ever. The chorus is like getting head from Kali. Gives me chills ever time.
"I would just like to say I feel fine."
And the drama when the strings first come in, and the scorn when Dizzee Rascal says "don't make me laff, whatchu know about havin' no money for a trim?" - yeah you fucking rich kids, don't mess with Dizzee - and the way the sound is all about the treble, all about the high-pitched noises, like someone drilling a hole in yr skull IN A GOOD WAY, and the "jump up, jump up" bit, and the reprise of "round, round, round we go"... YESSSSSS.
Then if we dig deeper into the lyrical content of the song, we find much the same sentiment as on RZA's 'Grits', except with added aggression: RZA is just reminiscing about growing up poor, Dizzee sounds like he's looking for someone to punch because of it. I've been thinking a lot recently about generalised/metaphorical struggle vs. specific/literal class-based experience in hip-hop and elsewhere - because I've always said that you don't need to have gone through exactly what an artist is talking about going through to understand and relate to the emotions expressed in a song as a result. And yet... something in 'Grits' moves me and makes me want to claim that anyone who never wanted for anything as a child cannot understand this song the way I do. And when Dizzee hits on something so exact as having to boil the kettle to get hot water for a bath - I'm right there with him, yelling "what do YOU know about it?" Chip on the shoulder? Don't make me laugh...
"I would just like to say I feel great."

<< Home