Sunday, October 12, 2003

all day I dream, all day I dream

A good weekend. Yet *again* I am frustrated by my inability to, y'know, get things done - I keep thinking of that scene in This Life where young lawyer Egg is assigned to deliver some papers to chambers, and somehow ends up daydreaming in parks instead.

Speaking of dreaming: Spirited Away - if you haven't already, see it see it see it see it! Stunning, probably the best film I've seen all year, and really seems to tap into a whole number of half-remembered childhood games/imaginings/feelings. Secret gateways or portals into other worlds, worlds which don't have to obey the same rules as ours; the way anthropomorphic characters can be simultaneously sinister and cure; the melancholy, lonely beauty of trains... yes. I bet Philip Pullman would/does love it.

List of things to post about now includes: more about the above film, more about Outkast, something about Killer Mike's 'A.D.I.D.A.S.', something about The Royal Tenenbaums, something about The Raveonettes... and, long overdue, lots about Red, henceforth to be known as Nina a.k.a. Tryphena Sparks.