Thursday, December 04, 2003

Blog head not working very well this week. Will this do?

Outkast - 'Last Call'

I feel I ought to stick to the format I've established, so everything I have to say about this song will form five more out of 100 Reasons Why Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is Album Of The Year* (1-12, 13-20).

21. For ages, I thought this was the weakest track on Speakerboxxx, now I'm obsessed with its raucous rowdiness. Songs that start out as the one you don't like on an album and then win you over are grrrrreat.

22. You have to love the fact that it's basically about how people who just stand around by the walls in clubs are shit, and need to come dance. If you're "holding the wall", fuck y'all!

23. The matter-of-fact way Big Boi announces at the beginning of his verse that he is going to get his hair cut, and then he is going to get laid.

24. The line "The dirty doctor has informed me, the drought has ended today" is also one of Big Boi's best.

25. Last but not least, the phrase "Haitious the Haitian from Hateville", which I love a) because I love spins on 'hater', whethr it be "hateration" or "The Hatrix", and b) it reminds me of Haitious the sweet, past-his-prime boxer from Paul Pope's 100%.

*Have decided that Basement Jaxx comes close, Jay-Z turns out to be the guy who nearly steals it, and sadly the Chicks On Speed album is probably in the top ten but not the top five.