Tuesday, March 02, 2004

ice cold

Dug out my copy of Hounds Of Love / The Ninth Wave last night whilst doing domestic chores - I always find myself reaching for that record when the temperature really drops. It's so... frosty: the only thing I've ever heard that evoked winter so magically is Bjork's Vespertine, although the icy, icy land on Hounds is more specifically English, not to mention more sinister. The title track in particular, I still find astonishingly other-worldly and joyous, from the sampled "through the trees! it's coming!" dialogue that kicks if off, to the "take my shoes and throw them in the lake!" line, to the literally barking backing vocals.

Anyone surprise by Big Boi calling Kate Bush his favourite artist ever ever ever - c'mon, dude has ears! And he also likes dogs a lot. But now it occurs to me - is 'The Whole World' meant to sound like a track from a different Kate Bush album - is it meant to sound like 'Babooshka'? Because it really does. Get on it, bootleggers!