Monday, February 23, 2004

we knew all the answers and we shouted them like anthems

Thinking about Le Tigre again not just because All Tomorrow's Parties is just over a month away now, but also because after a period spent practicing a combination of a) sensual immersion in the shiniest and most decadent excesses of pop music and culture, b) attempting to take part in dialogues that critique the problematic nature of most left/progressive/radical approaches to pop music and culture - I feel like I need some fucking clarity. Apparently the new Le Tigre album will be out in late summer 2004 - I need them to form like Voltron with The Coup and give me some anthems.

"And they said unto Simon Peter, 'Are you not one of his Disciples?' And Simon Peter said 'I am not'."

I've been falling back on surreal gallows humour as a coping mechanism where actual governments and policies are concerned for too long - because otherwise it all feels too real and solid and brutally threatening - like a wooden block with which someone might hit you in the face - but now I think that absurdist approach might just be making me feel ever more nauseous. Sea-sick. (Still, thanks to Somedisco for that link.)

I'm all fragmented today. Last week I was haunted by bad dreams and weird sleep patterns and other things, until the clouds cleared and it suddenly looked like Everything Was Going To Be Okay. This peaked over the weekend but ended in the small hours of this morning, suddenly all is angst and maybe you've just been in denial.

Ugh. I'm sure I'm probably just seratonin depleted and sleep deprived. Picking up of oneself and getting back - in - da race! - well, it's bound to happen in the next couple of days.

I'd just like to add that 'Love Builds Up' on the Electrelane album is almost as good as 'Only One Thing Is Needed', especially the last minute or so - those grrls are always best when they break out the instruments which have keys which you press down with your fingers. In fact, The Power Out is all about the last four tracks and the first two, in that order. That's my considered opinion, subject to change in the next 45 minutes.

Nobody wants to read this whiny shit, do they?