Friday, February 20, 2004

Today you should be downloading (yes, it's like Fluxblog without the actual MP3s...):

Electrelane - 'Only One Thing Is Needed'

The new Electrelane album, The Power Out is a strange beast - can't quite decide if it's patchy or just patchwork... Y'know, they're trying quite a few different things, which is a big contrast from the first album which was almost entirely one very distinct 'thing'. I haven't yet decided how much of it works, but you have to acknowledge their audacity (choirs, war poets, lines from Nietzsche, not to mention simultaneously going more garage rock, more electro and more delicately indie...).

There's definitely some really nice stuff on here though, and 'Only One Thing Is Needed' is up there with the best stuff they've done (by which I guess we pretty much all agree I mean 'I Want To Be The President', right?). It's one of the first Electrelane tracks I can really imagine being played in a club and really getting people dancing - everything about it just says "exciting evening out!" to me (I think there are even lyrics about "gonna meet my girl tonight"). When the saxophone comes in, first time, it's really jarring, but then you learn to love it. As my loverr said last night, "This song makes me want to wave my hands in the air like this" - I couldn't have put it better myself.

PS: I was going to tell the story of my two embarrassing meetings with Electrelane, only to decide against it, but I'm easily swayed...