Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Further thoughts on 'Rock Your Body' (because at least two people have registered their strong agreement with the post below), I give you: the basic dance steps explained.

1. Stand with your feet together and your shoulders leaning forward slightly, arms hanging loosely by your sides.

2. Imagine you are standing up to your waist in a barrel, the diameter of which is not much wider than your waistline. Bring your left arm up and then down as if to tuck it by your side inside the barrel, with the flat of your palm facing outwards.

3. Repeat step 2, this time with your right arm.

4. Look left, and then right, with small movements of your head, as if you were about to cross a busy road.

5. Take a step to the left with your left foot, and then slide your right foot over so your feet are together again.

6. Wiggle from your shoulders to your waist.

7. Stand on one leg and spin 360 degrees.

Simple!

Advanced pop dancing: the 'Crazy In Love' dance is more like... I dunno, super-hyper aerobics or something, but with a really overt sex vibe. I think you might have to be Beyoncé to be able to do it, though. Or just be limber (baby) - more limber than I am, anyway. If you haven't seen the video for this song yet, by the way, do it. Between the thumb-biting ("do you bite your thumb at me, sirrah?"), the dancing in geysers, and the whole Bogey-and-Bacall thing she and Jay-Z have going (without the age difference, I know, but it still works for me), it's just staggering. Whatever your sexuality or gender, I defy you not to love Beyoncé after this.

And if the rest of the songs on her album are up to the quality of 'Work It Out' and this one... wow. It comes out in a week and a half, about three days before I get paid next... Oh yes.