Thursday, December 11, 2003

there was a time when parents thought 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' was raunchy

Outkast's taste in music ...is somehow slightly less exciting than I hoped. And that's not just because I think if Andre 3000 is going to pick an indie rock band to champion, he could do a lot better than The Hives. But yeah: Big Boi likes funk and classic hip-hop, Andre likes Prince, songs about sex and guitar bands. Where are the surprises? Even Dre's choice of song by The Smiths is a bit disappointing, if only because it implies he may be inspired to record more ultra-gloomy, sickly sentimental songs like 'She's Alive' (the only actively bad track on either disc of the Best Album Of The Year).

It does make me think about what album I'd get each of the Outkast boys for Christmas, though.

For Dre: 69 Love Songs by The Magnetic Fields - because even though I fear that it might inspire him to make a triple album, I think he couldn't help but dig the playful approach to genre, all the different voices, the tinkling away on the piano... and above all, the fact that it's a LOVE album. I actually think it's a crying shame if he doesn't own this already.

For Big Boi: assuming he has The Black Album (signed "Sir Lucius, we did it again! Shout out to public housing, love Young Hov!"), then it has to be Kish Kash. One superb maximalist mash-up filled with insane tunes that make you need to dance and strut, for the maker of another.

Feel free to comment with your own suggestions...

Oh, and music writers, stop referring to Big Boi as in any way "standard". Tsk.