If you're looking for an end-of-year round-up of singles, you could do a lot worse than Alex MacPherson's:
60-41: 'NY Excuse', LCD Soundsystem, Jay, Ghostface (who I am annoyed can no longer be referred to as Ghost without confusing Wire readers), Miss Kittin, The Knife and Felix all present and correct. Bonus points for showing the correct amount of penitence for the inclusion of Morrisey lyrics.
40-31: I am finally coming round to 'Tilt Ya Head Back' for exactly the reasons given here (plus, 'NELLY KNUCKLES BEATS ALL CHARGES'!).
30-21: Exclusion of 'Slow Jamz' from the overall list is almost made up for by its mention here, and I'm glad I'm not only person who's noticed that the best thing about 'Jesus Walks' and 'Never Let Me Down' might be the transition from one to the other. I'm still not feeling the Winehouse love, but maybe I'll try to keep an open mind (and stop imagining a portly piano player saying "...Amy Winehouse!" as he sweeps one arm to his side by way of introduction).
20-11: 'Mono' love and generally Love love, on the other hand, that's the kind of love I'll always support. Apart from that entry I wrote after the first time I heard it, but let's forget that ever happened.
10-9: What an amazing time. What a family.
8-4: Perfection. Every single one of these is a better work of art than [INSERT YR FAVOURITE CANONICAL GREAT WORK HERE]. Even if I can't listen to 'Goodies' without wanting to hear "hello, this is M-I-A..."
3: I've said it before and I'll say it again, fuck haterz.
2: Slowly, we have all come around to realising that 'Trick Me' edges out 'Milkshake', just.
1: I have no idea why I don't own the album yet. January Sales, here we come.
60-41: 'NY Excuse', LCD Soundsystem, Jay, Ghostface (who I am annoyed can no longer be referred to as Ghost without confusing Wire readers), Miss Kittin, The Knife and Felix all present and correct. Bonus points for showing the correct amount of penitence for the inclusion of Morrisey lyrics.
40-31: I am finally coming round to 'Tilt Ya Head Back' for exactly the reasons given here (plus, 'NELLY KNUCKLES BEATS ALL CHARGES'!).
30-21: Exclusion of 'Slow Jamz' from the overall list is almost made up for by its mention here, and I'm glad I'm not only person who's noticed that the best thing about 'Jesus Walks' and 'Never Let Me Down' might be the transition from one to the other. I'm still not feeling the Winehouse love, but maybe I'll try to keep an open mind (and stop imagining a portly piano player saying "...Amy Winehouse!" as he sweeps one arm to his side by way of introduction).
20-11: 'Mono' love and generally Love love, on the other hand, that's the kind of love I'll always support. Apart from that entry I wrote after the first time I heard it, but let's forget that ever happened.
10-9: What an amazing time. What a family.
8-4: Perfection. Every single one of these is a better work of art than [INSERT YR FAVOURITE CANONICAL GREAT WORK HERE]. Even if I can't listen to 'Goodies' without wanting to hear "hello, this is M-I-A..."
3: I've said it before and I'll say it again, fuck haterz.
2: Slowly, we have all come around to realising that 'Trick Me' edges out 'Milkshake', just.
1: I have no idea why I don't own the album yet. January Sales, here we come.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home