Monday, November 08, 2004

the game's over

Music and yer mood: it's a funny relationship. Sometimes you just want something that reinforces your mood, sometimes you want something that expresses the exact opposite of the mood you're in.

A week and a half ago I bought the Freeform Five album, Strangest Things, and whilst it's not a classic, it has four or five songs on it that might be, and I was honestly perfectly satisfied with my spur-of-the-moment impulse purchase. I guess if I had one major criticism of the album it would be that if you're going to do breezy electronic pop like this and avoid it seeming just too lightweight and vapid, it helps to have some sass, some sauce, some tang. 'Electromagnetic' and 'Losing My Control' have those qualities in spades (durr, they're about sex), and so does the title track, and some of the album is concerned with doing something different (eg, the ballads, which when they work sound like St Etienne and when they don't sound like Faithless). But too much of Strangest Things lacks any real bite... it just sort of drifts pass pleasantly and you think "yeah, fair enough, but... zzzz". It sounds a little too inconsequential for stretches.

And, perhaps predictably, inconsequential is not we are about right now. So even though I wasn't sure I should, I went out and bought The New Danger by Mos Def.

Now this fits my mood just right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home