london calling, speak the slang
I'm afraid this blog's chances of staying frequent are in jeopardy due to my newfound unemployment (no stress though, not yet), but I'll try to make the updates as substantial as possible when they do occur...
People who buy singles should know that 'Galang' by M.I.A. is out this week. I may have to become one of those people, because apparently her album, Arular, will now not be out until January 2005, which is annoying on the one hand, and a relief for my wallet on the other. And I need to own 'Galang' on CD. I need to be able to hear M.I.A. spitting what she calls "nursery rhyme baby talk" over those scrunchy beats as I trample wet leaves on the streets of London. I need to hear that much-discussed bit at the end where it all slows down and M.I.A. intones "yo, yo, heyyyyy..." like a prayer chant: I need that moment to hand, because although I don't pray anymore, I might have to start praying to something soon - maybe starting tonight (see below).
(If you can, catch the video for 'Galang', featuring M.I.A.'s artwork as also seen on the sleeve, and an animated tiger - tigers are important.)
Meanwhile, I've got a new piece up at No Innocent Bystanders, entitled 'Voting For Dukakis'. Not really sure how to describe this one. It's nominally a music piece - a mixtape, in fact - but really, it's a fair and balanced look at the US Presidential elections:
"What hope is there of persuading anyone happy to see John Ashcroft holding any kind of office, that people should be allowed the kind of lover they want, the kind of sex that they need?... How are they going to accept theories about non-binary, non-biologically determined gender if they can't accept the theory of evolution? They're not. To coin a phrase: you can't reason with these people."
I have to admit, right now if I was a betting man and had to put money on whether I'd be wanting to listen to 'I'm So Excited' or 'Back In Time' when the result comes in, I'd sadly plump for the Au Revoir Simone. But I tend to try to prepare for the worst in situations like this, just so the disappointment isn't too crushing. Still. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Yo yo, heyyyyyyyy...
I'm afraid this blog's chances of staying frequent are in jeopardy due to my newfound unemployment (no stress though, not yet), but I'll try to make the updates as substantial as possible when they do occur...
People who buy singles should know that 'Galang' by M.I.A. is out this week. I may have to become one of those people, because apparently her album, Arular, will now not be out until January 2005, which is annoying on the one hand, and a relief for my wallet on the other. And I need to own 'Galang' on CD. I need to be able to hear M.I.A. spitting what she calls "nursery rhyme baby talk" over those scrunchy beats as I trample wet leaves on the streets of London. I need to hear that much-discussed bit at the end where it all slows down and M.I.A. intones "yo, yo, heyyyyy..." like a prayer chant: I need that moment to hand, because although I don't pray anymore, I might have to start praying to something soon - maybe starting tonight (see below).
(If you can, catch the video for 'Galang', featuring M.I.A.'s artwork as also seen on the sleeve, and an animated tiger - tigers are important.)
Meanwhile, I've got a new piece up at No Innocent Bystanders, entitled 'Voting For Dukakis'. Not really sure how to describe this one. It's nominally a music piece - a mixtape, in fact - but really, it's a fair and balanced look at the US Presidential elections:
"What hope is there of persuading anyone happy to see John Ashcroft holding any kind of office, that people should be allowed the kind of lover they want, the kind of sex that they need?... How are they going to accept theories about non-binary, non-biologically determined gender if they can't accept the theory of evolution? They're not. To coin a phrase: you can't reason with these people."
I have to admit, right now if I was a betting man and had to put money on whether I'd be wanting to listen to 'I'm So Excited' or 'Back In Time' when the result comes in, I'd sadly plump for the Au Revoir Simone. But I tend to try to prepare for the worst in situations like this, just so the disappointment isn't too crushing. Still. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Yo yo, heyyyyyyyy...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home