the bounce is back
This made me laugh out loud a couple of days ago - lil missy from spizzazzz on Pharrell Williams' recent slight loss of cool:
"pharrell is always going on about how he wants a lovely girlfriend who is a teacher or something like that, but he's forever on the cover of a magazine with his head right by an ass or some tits."
So true. I also can't help but think that The Face is a year behind with their "Pharrell = Man of the Year" thing, but then they've been a year behind for a while, right?
On the subject of 'Change Clothes': a couple of people have expressed surprise that I don't rate it as one of the better tracks on The Black Album, and the only answer that I can really give is that it seems a little less impressive in that context. By which I mean, obviously it's a great tune. Obviously. It's so flossy, so poppy, there's such a lightness of touch there. It's like a sequel to 'Frontin', it's an ode to the finer things in life, and it has a great moment where Jay-Z appears to chastise other rappers for not wearing a suit often enough.
But on the album, it slots in between 'Encore' (which has grown on me so much - "it's so motherfuckin' soulful!") and 'Dirt Off Your Shoulder', probably the best two tracks on the first half of the record, and feels almost like a time-out, a pause so you can catch your breath between moments of genius...
...Except I think I may have just talked myself out of that opinion, because isn't thinking something's inferior because it's just a simple, breezy pop song rather than a, ahem, ground-breaking work of artistic genius - isn't that a bit, you know (whisper it) rockist?
This made me laugh out loud a couple of days ago - lil missy from spizzazzz on Pharrell Williams' recent slight loss of cool:
"pharrell is always going on about how he wants a lovely girlfriend who is a teacher or something like that, but he's forever on the cover of a magazine with his head right by an ass or some tits."
So true. I also can't help but think that The Face is a year behind with their "Pharrell = Man of the Year" thing, but then they've been a year behind for a while, right?
On the subject of 'Change Clothes': a couple of people have expressed surprise that I don't rate it as one of the better tracks on The Black Album, and the only answer that I can really give is that it seems a little less impressive in that context. By which I mean, obviously it's a great tune. Obviously. It's so flossy, so poppy, there's such a lightness of touch there. It's like a sequel to 'Frontin', it's an ode to the finer things in life, and it has a great moment where Jay-Z appears to chastise other rappers for not wearing a suit often enough.
But on the album, it slots in between 'Encore' (which has grown on me so much - "it's so motherfuckin' soulful!") and 'Dirt Off Your Shoulder', probably the best two tracks on the first half of the record, and feels almost like a time-out, a pause so you can catch your breath between moments of genius...
...Except I think I may have just talked myself out of that opinion, because isn't thinking something's inferior because it's just a simple, breezy pop song rather than a, ahem, ground-breaking work of artistic genius - isn't that a bit, you know (whisper it) rockist?

<< Home